Late in Day 2 it did rain on us but not impactful. It’s the only rain there has been. Water hasn’t been great but available enough. Gypsy was also at Sam Moore Shelter last night and it was good to reconnect. On a personal level, my legs and feet hurt so bad after these two very long, serious backpacking days I couldn’t sleep! Had to rely upon n Advil to calm things down. Blisters are starting to pop everywhere. It’s been really hard to keep the necessary concentration stepping through the rocks going up and also going down. There is 0 margin for error. As you get tired it becomes easier to make a wrong step, also as you (I) get tired I start kicking rocks unintentionally. Probably around 50 each foot. My right big toe is in bad shape! Left one not far behind. It’s just hard to see them all and keep lifting feet high enough. Anyway, that has been a big problem on this section, for me.
We took off just after 8 am. Absolutely brutal ups and downs to finish the rollercoaster. We had a target to get to a mountain hostel for food, water, etc. turns out it is closed between 9 am and 5 pm. Killer. Not even water. We were tapped out. Here it is.
Set our sights on Ravens Rock, 2.7 miles away. Tough sledding but we got a view!
Along the way, we crossed the state line!
We ‘only’ did about 11-12 miles today but they were really really hard. I am happy to say we made it out of the rollercoaster section and here is the proof:
Although the Bears Den failed us, the Blackburn Trail center is another awesome place! Bad news was that we were out of water and and whooped so we headed toward and..almost .5 miles downhill! But once here, the beautiful person who runs it - Fern - was welcoming. Gave us all sodas and apples! Lean potable water. And a great little cabin that sleeps 4. Awesome place. A bit sad we have to climb back up this hill to leave but..so it goes. About 12-13 miles to the Harper’s Ferry finish. For maybe the first time ever, I have completely ate what i brought! Sad that we all carried tents but haven’t used them. It’s Sunday night..Beeper got an awesome fire going, and I am feeling I will be able to finish this out - strong I hope! (All blisters popped by me so well if that was a good idea come tomorrow! 



No comments:
Post a Comment